THE ULTIMATE IN PROTECTION
PBI Bunker gear offers the maximum in thermal protection as
well as abrasion resistance. Due to the low number of requests for PBI, we
do not stock this style of gear but, it is on a stock shipping program and the delivery times have been decent.
of 2007 saw a big change in NFPA 1971 recommended turnout gear design.
Coats made to the standards will now feature an integrated rescue harness to aid
in the rapid rescue of downed firefighters. The rescuers simply have to
locate the back of the coat collar to deploy a built-in, underarm sling and then
drag to victim to safety.
If you are wondering what PBI is,
click here for the generic description. If you clicked that link and
came to the conclusion that PBI is a plastic, you are correct. It is a
very exotic and expensive plastic that is so hard it must be combined with a
softener in order to weave a fabric from it. In the case of turnout gear,
the softening agent is Kevlar. That's right, it is softened with the
material they make bullet proof vests from. PBI is some tough stuff.
The coats are all 32" long and matched with five panel, high
back trousers. This system reduces the weight and bulk in the coat to
allow for freer movement while keeping the firefighter's back covered when
crawling through the heat.
Below are just a few of the features on the gear we have
in stock for immediate shipment.
- Multi-piece panel construction: Superior form, fit and
- NFPA Labeled/UL Certified. OSHA, CAL-OSHA compliant
- No-rivet construction: Reduces hot spots and fabric
- Triple Nomex-stitched stress areas: Adds durability
and garment life
- 32" Long coat
- Collar: Stand-up, multi-piece, insulated full closure
- Throat tab: Overlapping insulated protection allows
full interface with SCBA styles
- Sleeve design: Two-piece built-in contoured design
with leather cowhide cuffs
- Shoulder: Roomy design enhances range of motion while
virtually eliminating underarm tears and reducing coat rise
- Outer storm flap: Extra wide for superior frontal
protection; bar-tack reinforced. FR Hook and Loop closure provides "no
- Inner closure system: Heavy-duty, smooth-action,
black anodized brass zipper
- Wristlets: Double knit Nomex/Spandex extra-long with
thumbhole for maximum wrist protection
- Sta-Dri water well inner cuff: Extra deep with inner
liner thermal and moisture barrier protection
- Inner liner: Full length, removable inner thermal and
moisture barrier assembly edge bound for shape retention after cleaning
- Metal components: All non-sparking, non-conductive,
corrosion-resistant. Use is minimized to reduce heat transmission
- Pockets: Self fabric reinforced
- Inner fly closure: FR Hook and Loop closure for
- Generous seat design: Triple-stitched primary seams
provide added strength and comfort
- Pant cuffs: Reinforced with 2" FR chrome leather
- 3M Reflective Trim
- Center bellows/handwarmer pockets
- Radio pocket on left chest
- Microphone tab above radio pocket
- PASS/Flashlight tab on right chest
As you can see, this is full feature gear that we can supply
your community from stock. No six month wait to get protective
clothing that has all of the options you need to perform your tasks safely.
Now, for the technical
stuff. Follow the links for additional information.
|Moisture Barrier Material
|Cuff Reinforcement Material
||Double Nomex/Spandex Knit
||Certified by Underwriter's Laboratories
For some background on the high tech aramid and para-aramid
fibers used in the construction of fire fighting clothing,
here is the wikipedia entry.
If you are ever in our neighborhood, please stop by and take a
close look at our Advance turnouts. We think you will be pleased.